1. First and foremost - clothes! Gotta be fashionable without being too preppy or too goth. A lot of acceptance in middle school rides on clothes.
2. Hairstyle - straight, curly, gel, ponytail, clips... Second only to clothes.
3. Shoes - related to clothes and hair. Gotta have the perfect shoes.
4. Lunch - The most important part of the day! Where will I sit? Will my friends have the same lunch? Will I have enough time to eat?
5. Bullies - In the back of their mind is the worry about bullies and getting picked on.
6. Lockers - Remembering the combination is a high priority. What will I do if I forget it?
7. Schedule and Books - When can I pick up my schedule (and textbooks) so I can see what period I have each class?
8. Classes - They worry about being able to find their classes and get to each class on time. They worry that their friends won't be in their classes.
9. Teachers - Who are they, what do we know about them, and will they be mean or nice?
10. Gym Clothes - Oh! Those are awful!
11. Supplies - What do I really need to bring on the first day? What else will be on the supply lists for the remainder of the year?
12. Homework - They worry about having too much, particularly on the first day of school.
13. Tardies and Detention - What happens if I'm tardy? What is detention like, and how can I avoid it?
I remember worrying about all this and more! My top 13 concerns from the perspective of a teacher would look quite different!
Join us at Thursday Thirteen here!