1. Location – Near schools (if you have children), in a family-friendly neighborhood, and safety. Do most of the homes in the area seem to meet the standard you’re looking for?
2. Cleanliness – Will a professional cleaner need to come in to clean cabinets, tile, wood flooring, or carpet? Has the interior been properly maintained?
3. Major appliances – How old are they, and are they in good working condition? What happens if something breaks? Applies to water heater, air conditioner, oven, stove, refrigerator.
4. Square Footage – How much is there, and is it spaced to best fit your needs? How does the furniture you have fit with the layout of the home?
5. The Roof – How old is it? Has it had water damage or any current leaks? How are repairs handled?
6. Bathrooms – How recently was plumbing work done on the property? Do the showers, faucets, tubs, sinks, and toilets work properly.
7. Electrical Outlets – Is the wiring up to code? Where is the breaker box? Are there enough outlets in the right locations based on your use of appliances and electrical devices?
8. Neighborhood Concerns – Are there children of the same or near same age as yours? Is there an area pool, playground, or picnic area? Is it quiet at night? Is there a train track behind your home?
9. Lighting – Is there enough lighting within the home? If not, how will you handle that?
10. Flooring – Is the flooring done is a style you prefer, and is it in good repair?
11. Kitchen – Are there plenty of cabinets, pantries, and drawers? Does it need updating?
12. Front and Back Yard – Does the home have curb appeal? Are shrubs and trees well maintained? What can be done to address this if not? Is there plenty of room in the back yard for your outdoor activities?
13. Affordability – What is a typical electric bill? Water bill? Gas bill? Trash pickup? Is the amount of rent being asked compatible with other properties of a similar nature? Will you be able to afford the deposit, rent, utilities, and still have enough left over to put gasoline in your car, feed your family, and provide for a few recreational activities?
I also have to consider closet space! Of course! And I have to assess what I would be able to move and what would best be left for professional movers. Thanks for reading!
Visit more Thursday Thirteen Participants here.