My twins will be twelve in a few weeks, and we have run through every birthday party idea for tweens that we can think of. Here are 13 of them.
1. Skating Rink Party. Most of them will reserve tables and time for opening presents and eating cake. The one near us also gives all the guests pizza, a drink, and a coupon for free skate time. The birthday boy or girl gets to choose a favorite song and gets extra treats.
2. An Event Complex such as Main Event. They have bowling, glow golf, laser tag, ride machines, and games galore. There is a party room that can be reserved, or you can just wing it. I think this is what my son is going to do this year.
3. Putt-Putt Fun House. This place has miniature golf, laser tag, games, and bumper boats. Very similar but not as “cool” as Main Event.
4. Hawaiian Luau Party. All you need is a swimming pool (in your back yard or in your neighborhood), some Hawaiian music, a limbo stick, a piñata, and some fun prizes. We did this last year, and the kids loved it.
5. 50’s Party – Have a sock hop. You can do a bubble-gum blowing contest, hula hoop contest, and a twist contest. You can also have an ice cream sundae making contest and “cool” prizes for the contest winners.
6. Shop Till You Drop Party – Especially for girls. A trip to the mall with a set amount of money to spend. Lunch at the food court.
7. Putting on the Glitz – Especially for girls. Girls can make jewelry, eat snacks, have cake and ice cream, and make more jewelry. You can buy a variety of jewelry-making kits at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
8. Lights, Camera, Action – Guests can write scripts and film movies to watch and share with their families. You could even vote on the best one and give it the Academy Award for home film-making.
9. Someone’s in the Kitchen – Especially for girls. Guests spend most of their time in the kitchen making and eating fun recipes such as personal size pizzas, cookies, smoothies, and so on. There are lots of kid-friendly recipes here.
10. Movie Party – Take the guests to see a new movie, then go back home for pizza, cake, and ice cream.
11. Beach Party – If you’re near the coast, have your guests hop in the car for a trip to the beach. Sunning, swimming, giggling about boys or girls, Frisbee, volleyball, or whatever you are up for.
12. Paintball Party – Especially for boys. Pile the boys in the car and take them out for some sweaty fun at the paintball park. Then, treat them to CiCi’s pizza or a food court meal and birthday cake.
13. Girlie-Girl Sleepover – Yes, this one’s especially for girls. The guests come over for pizza and cake, presents and goodie bags, and while they’re there, they do “girlie-girl” stuff like painting fingernails, fixing each other’s hair, gossiping about boys, watch a DVD, make ice cream sundaes, color fuzzy posters, and made beaded bracelets. All of these could be contests in which they win play money and get to go “shopping” for their prizes. You get to set up the “store” and decide what to put in it and the prices. And, of course, this is a sleepover/slumber party. I think this is what my daughter is going to do this year.
You can get fantastic ideas at this web site!
You can visit other Thursday Thirteeners at The Home of Thursday Thirteen.