1. Safety pins - These can be used for a variety of things... pinning back curtains, repairing an article of clothing when you don't have time to sew, or to make a costume.
And speaking of costumes...
2. Old T shirts, fabric, tulle, old costumes - If you're going to attend "rush," or dress up for Halloween, or attend theme mixers, you mightSleep need some of these to create an appropriate outfit or costume.
3. Earplugs - You never know if your roommate is going to snore or if there will be noisy construction going on outside your dorm in the early morning hours.
4. Sleep Mask - You may have a roommate who turns the lights on at night or a window without room-darkening shades or curtains.
6. Boot Tray - If your college student lives where there is snow, this will come in handy. He/she will need a place to put the boots to dry.
8. An Address Book with Phone Numbers - If technology fails, having a written list of addresses (which he/she will need for snail mail anyway) and phone numbers will come in handy.
10. Sports Equipment - Taking a soccer ball out to the field is a great way to work out. It could also lead to an impromptu game in which students can make new friends or practice for intramural teams.
12. Mini Safe - Better safe than sorry. A mini safe can be a place to keep money or jewelry when you're out and you want to be absolutely sure that it is safely stored.
13. Semi-Formal or Formal Attire - A nice dress or suit may be necessary. Even if your student isn't part of a fraternity or sorority, there are often events that require more than just khakis and a polo. The college may host events requiring something other than casual dress as do many professional societies. It will also come in handy for mock (or real!) interviews.
I can't say I am happy that my girl is going back to college today, but I am proud. She is going a week early to volunteer her time and talent with Welcome Week for the incoming freshmen. The tears are going to flow.
Sources: Me, of course! Real Simple. Her Campus.
Link up with Thursday Thirteen and/or Below!