Today, I bring you a list of 13 top-rated nonprofit organizations. Charities were rated on a number of qualities: Alexa's traffic rankings, Google's page rankings, links to the charity on other webpages, social media presence, and most important, Charity Navigator 4-star companies. Charity Navigator takes into consideration fiscal responsibility and transparency. They've done all the work for us to help us determine where we want to spend our hard-earned money and valuable time.
1. United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) - Defending the rights of children in 190 countries and territories.
2. Human Rights Watch - A force for justice, humanity, and dignity; fighting human rights abuses.
3. Museum of Modern Art in New York - Celebrating creativity, tolerance, openness, and generosity.
4. Doctors without Borders - Provides assistance to populations in distress, victims of natural disasters, and victims of armed conflicts made up of professionals in the health industry.
5. Rotary Foundation - Promote peace, provide clean water and sanitation, fight disease, and support education.
6. Feeding America - Domestic hunger relief organization.
7. Samaritan's Purse - Helping those in need in a variety of ways: crisis response, natural disaster assistance (including helping here in Houston after Hurricane Harvey), health and medical ministries, healthy and hygiene ministries, women's ministries, and much more.
8. ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention and Cruelty to Animals - Animal rescue, placement, and protection.
9. Environmental Defense Fund - Preserving the natural systems on which all life depends.
10. Teach for America - Overcoming educational inequity through teaching.
11. World Food Program USA - Eradicating hunger worldwide.
12. Smithsonian Institution - The world's largest museum, education and research community.
13. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - Treatment programs, clinical trials, and research for children with cancer, and families are never billed.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
I Corinthians 13:13, King James Version
(Appropriate for Thursday 13!)