Lately, I have had two people, aquaintances, really, not exactly friends, tell me they don't eat dairy. One of them said that she (and her group at Cross Fit) believe it's strange to eat dairy or drink milk because humans are the only mammals that drink other mammal's milk.
I wanted to say, "That's because we're at the top of the food chain!" But I didn't say it. She's about half my age, so I don't argue with her about it.
I just found out another friend thinks dairy is "evil." Her word; not mine. So, today's Thursday Thirteen is all about dairy.
1. There are no antibiotics in milk, regular or organic. Milk is tested, and if it is positive for antibiotics, it is disposed of.
2. 72% of all the calcium in the United States comes from dairy foods (milk, yougurt, cheese.
3. These products are also a good source of protein.
4. American eat approximately 350 slices of pizza a year, all topped with cheese.
5. Calcium in soy milk is not as readily available for the body to use as the calcium in cow's milk.
6. June is dairy month. I'll have to be sure and tell my "friends!"
7. Calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis as well as colon cancer.
8. Low fat/skim milk and low fat cottage cheese are healthy choices to get your calcium, protein, and Vitamin D while you maintain healthy eating habits.
9. Eating healthy dairy foods can keep your bones strong so you can live a longer and more active lifestyle.
10. Eating low or no fat dairy products can help lower your cholesterol.
11. Diets higher in dairy calcium caused greater excretion of fat than diets which were lower in calcium.
12. A diet rich in ice cream and other high-fat dairy foods may lower the risk of one type of infertility.
13. And the best reason to eat dairy? Milk tastes great with cookies or cake!
Play along with Thursday Thirteen by going to the new hub to leave your link and/or leave your link below.