On this day, April 28...
1. Year 1180 - Phillip II of France married his first wife Isabella of Hainault at Bapaume. He was 14 and she was 10.
2. Year 1192 - Newly elected King of Jerusalem Conrad of Montferrat was assassinated in Tyre.
3. Year 1635 - Virginia governor John Harvey was accused of treason and removed from office.
4. Year 1442- King Edward IV was born on this day in Rouen, Normandy.
5. Year 1721 - Female English Pirate Mary Read who operated throughout the Caribbean died in prison. She was also pregnant at the time.
6. Year 1758 - James Monroe was born. He became the 5th President of the United States.
7. Year 1788 - Maryland becomes the 7th state to ratify the new United States Constitution.
8. Year 1903 - William Randolph Hearst (newspaper publisher) married Millicent Veronica Willson. Hearsts' daughter would later become a household name due to her kidnapping and Stockholm Syndrome.
9. Year 1945 - Benito Mussolini, Italian facist dictator, was shot by communist partisans at the age of 60.
10. Year 1979 - John Candy wed Rosemary Margaret Hobor in Toronto, Canada.
11. Year 1908 - Oskar Schindler was born in Zwittau, Austria-Hungary. He is the subject of "Schindler's Ark" and "Schindler's List."
12. Year 1990 - Axl Rose of the band Guns N Roses married Erin Everly. That marriage was annuled the same year.
13. Year 1999 - Arthur Leonard Schawlow died of leukemia at the age of 77. His work with lasers helped his team of physicists win the 1981 Nobel Prize for Physics.
I would like to credit my source for information. Thank you.
Visit Thursday Thirteen for more fun content or to join in the fun!