Monday, as you may know, was Groundhog day, and Punxsutawney Phil predicts we'll have six more weeks of winter. Here are 13 bits of Groundhog Day trivia. Link up with Thursday Thirteen.
1. Groundhog day first began in Pennsylvania in 1886.
2. Phil's namesake was King Phillip.
3. Prior to being called Phil, he was called Br'er Groundhog.
4. There is a German legend of Candlemas Day, which states, "For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day, so far will the snow swirl in May..." From these roots, Groundhog Day began.
5. Groundhogs were plentiful in Pennsylvania in the 1800's.
6. The early settlers believed groundhogs were intelligent and sensible animals.
7. Phil has a club, and there are 58 chapters!
8. Groundhogs whistle when they are "courting" in the springtime.
9. Groundhogs really hibernate, but it's more like a coma than a deep sleep.
10. Punxsutawney Phil weighs about 20 pounds.
11. Most groundhogs live 6-8 years, but Punxsutawney Phil drinks magical punch every year, so he will probably live forever.
12. Membership in Phil's club is $10 per year.
13. And this... this is truly exciting... You can own your very own Punxsutawney Phil merchandise At the Official Souvenir Shop! You know I'm going to hop over there and get mine now!
Here is some more Groundhog Day Trivia.