Amelia Earhart said, "Adventure is worthwhile in itself." And look what happened to her! She disappeared somewhere over the Pacific and was never found!
Adventure movies tend to be the most popular genre in the U. S. and are highly successful at the box office, but if Hollywood is any indication as to what an adventure consists of, then I want no part of it!
1. King Kong (1933) - Scary giant gorilla? No, thank you!
2. The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Talking tin man, talking lion, talking scarecrow, Munchkins, the Wicked Witch of the East, and a Wizard no one can see! I'll stay home.
3. Moby Dick (1956) - A dangerous great white whale took the leg of Captain Ahab and they actually want to go back out into treacherous seas to seek vengeance? I get seasick just going out on the lake!
4. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - Volcanoes, underwater oceans, monsters, and villains. I'ma stay up here on the Earth rather than in it!
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Being chased by Nazis is one thing, but poisonous snakes? I can't watch that let alone see it as an adventure I would want anything to do with!
6. Romancing the Stone (1984) - A kidnapping, a drug lord, a number of chases, and crocodiles, just to name a few issues. Please don't kidnap my sister!
7. The Goonies (1985) - Another treasure map and a crime family that wants the loot and is willing to kill to get it first! I don't need any treasure!
8. Honey I Shrunk the Kids (1989) - I'm already short! I don't want to be 1/4 inch tall! Ants stampeding would freak me out!
9. Hook (1991) - Kidnapped children by a man with a hook instead of a hand? Not my idea of an adventure.
10.White Fang (1991) - Wild dogs, violent humans, icy snow, and none of the comforts of home. I'd rather be warm and cozy at home with a good book.
11.Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book (1994) - Living in the jungle, no indoor sleeping or plumbing, a tiger, a black panther, and a python. Doesn't everyone know by now I don't like snakes?
12.Jumanji (1995) - Being sucked into a supernatural board game seems like nightmare, not an adventure! Carnivorous vines, baths, mosquitoes, stampes of animals. I'd rather see animals in a zoo.
13.Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Too much rum would do me in! Treacherous seas (again), shipwrecks, curses, knives, and guns don't make this sound like an adventure I would be comfortable in.
Most of these adventure movies fall into more than one genre, but if this is what adventure is, then I'm out! And to me, they would be ordeals, not adventures, thus...
|Who is Bob Bitchin?|
More fun posts for Thursday Thirteen.