I have a hard time falling asleep at night. I have trouble turning my mind off, so I'm trying to find a few ways to fall asleep and stay asleep. I want to sleep like a baby. (Or, maybe not. Don't they wake up frequently and cry?)
1. Obviously, there are OTC sleep aids. They contain diphenhydramine which is actually an anti-histamine.
2. Prescription sleep aids such as Ambien and Lunesta. Lunesta did not make me drowsy, and Ambien leaves me feeling like a zombie the next day.
3. Natural sleep aid such as Melatonin. I prefer the kind that melts under the tongue. Helps me sleep like a baby occasionally.
4. There is a technique called 4-7-8. Take in a deep breath for 4 seconds, hold for 7, exhale for 8. This is a new relaxation method I'm going to try tonight. Read more about it here.
5. Exercising during the day to reduce stress may lead to easier sleep.
6. Avoid naps. But I love naps! I only get them on weekends, though, because I get no sleep during the week.
7. Turn off the TV and computer. Both stimulate the brain so much that they can prevent sleep. Again, hard for me to do.
8. Wear an eye mask to make sure the room is completely dark. My daughter does this.
9. Keep your bedroom cooler than the rest of the house. Cool temperatures are more likely to put you to sleep.
10. Comfortable clothing and bedding promotes better sleep.
11. Aromatherapy, and lavender in particular. I don't know why, for sure, this fragrance helps people sleep more deeply, but I feel like it calms me a little.
12. Putting on socks is rumored to help regulate your body temperature for sleep. Can anyone sleep in them? Everyone I know says they take them off either before bed or during the night like me.
13. Tart cherry juice, if consumer twice daily, will increase your Melatonin naturally in about two weeks making it easier to fall asleep.
I've got to start sleeping better. Sleep is crucial for your health, your sex life, learning, remembering, and so much more. I'm going to go try to catch some Zzzzz's now. Here's to relaxation and sleep.
Thanks for visiting my Thursday Thirteen!
Subscribe in a reader