Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Monday, January 26, 2009
This is the third time I've participated in this awesome carnival of bloggy giveaway goodness. It's a great way to meet people and connect with new blogs and friends.
1. Subscribe to my blog via a reader (let me know if you already subscribe).
Head over to the Bloggy Giveaways Quarterly Carnival for TONS of prizes!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
rating: 3 of 5 stars
I am not impressed with Stephanie Meyers. I read Twilight, and thought the same thing about her writing style.
I put this book down twice after I started reading it to read two other books, which I finished, but I've wanted to read The Host since it came out, so I went back to it. Not to mention I voted to read it for Reader's Anonymous. It took 200 or more pages to get into it, and it was LONG!
This book was unique in some ways, predictable in others, imaginative in many ways. Overall, I would rate it good. Certainly not one of my favorites, though.
View all my reviews.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
If you've never visited Tiny Prints, please do so. They have a new line of Valentine cards, beautiful stationery, birth announcements, notecards, birthday cards, invitations, photo cards, stickers, and so much more! They are all printed professionally on high quality stationery, and they have such a variety, you're sure to find something you love.
Put your thinking cap on now.
I have no idea what to do for my husband for Valentine's Day this year. He's not the most romantic guy, and he never plans ahead, just to give you an idea of what he's like. He doesn't particularly like surprises. Go figure! So, I don't want to do anything too mushy, and I don't have a lot of time to devote to this since I work and have so many other obligations. I also don't want to spend more than $30 or $40. Obviously, he'll get a card (Tiny Prints has some pretty ones!) but what else?
Here's the deal. Can you come up with a unique, affordable idea for Valentine's Day? Please help me out! The person whose idea I choose will win the $50 gift certificate to Tiny Prints. Just leave your suggestion** in the comments on this post no later than January 28, 2009. One idea could get you SIX entries! See below.
Extra entries - after you've left your idea, you may do any or all of the following - Leave an extra comment for each entry.
2. Follow my blog (let me know if you already follow).
3. Stumble this post.
4. Blog about this post. Don't forget to leave your link.
5. Visit Tiny Prints and come back here and tell me your favorite Valentine design.
*If you decide to go ahead and place an order at Tiny Prints, you can receive 10% off orders of $49 or more by using coupon code TPLOVE by February 2, 2009. See details on their website.
Visit other Friday Fill-ins or come join us! Click here!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
For this award, I'm supposed to list 5 things I am addicted to and 5 blogs I am addicted to (only 5? I'm addicted to many!)
1. Coca-cola - I can't make it through a day without a couple of these sugary, caffeine-filled drinks. Diet just won't do!
2. Scrapbooking - I'm still learning new techniques, and I am definitely not a designer, but I love scrapping my memories.
3. Reading - I take a book with me pretty much everywhere I go. My favorite genre is mystery/psychological thriller type books, but I'm broadening my horizons. I joined Reader's Anonymous so I don't get stuck in a rut reading only the same types of books over and over.
4. Internet - I check my email several times a day, blog, read blogs, check facebook, goodreads, mom bloggers, reader's anonymous, and several other sites of this nature.
5. A few TV shows that I love but don't always get to watch and feed my addiction: Grey's Anatomy, 24, Prison Break.
Now, on to five blogs that I can't miss.
1. 3 Sides of Crazy - yes, she nominated me, but I can't miss her blog! There's so much variety on it. Plus, she has great recipes.
2. Queen Sized Funny Bone - Love this blog! She's open-minded, interesting, interested, funny, and real.
3. I'm an Organizing Junkie - I get great ideas here! She does product reviews on her other blog, but she also shows many tips on staying organized, and maybe that should have been one of my addictions. I need some control in my chaotic life.
4. Sunday Scrappin' - I try to participate in this meme/blog every week. It makes me sad when I have nothing crafty to share, but I still visit everyone else and comment on their crafty items for the week.
5. Skittle's Place - There is always something fun going on at this blog! Don't wanna miss it. Real and unique. She also the creator of one of the memes I really like, Heads or Tails.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
I'm passing this on to...
Jenn at My Kids are My World
Chrissy at Chrissy's Creative Spot
Latree at Dandelion
Joy at Joy to the Blog
Giggles at Happy Tiler
Lucy at Lulu's Petals
Bubba's Sis at Mother, Daughter, Sister, Friend, Me
Laura at Walking the Lunatic Fringe
Kellan at On the Flip Side
Storyteller at Small Reflections
Friday, January 16, 2009
She has had so many difficulties since her surgery January 7. I can't even begin to name them all. She started coming around mentally Wednesday evening (a week after her lobectomy). She'd been in distress both physically and mentally for the whole week. We thought we were losing her.
The problem that remained until today was her heart rate, which had soared. There was an irregular rhythm, an atrial flutter, not something you can live with for very long. She was scheduled for a heart shock (not the medical term, obviously), but today, shortly before being taken for the procedure, her heart returned to normal! On its own. Even her cardiologist had no explanation for it except prayer.
The last 36 hours have been great. She is even being moved out of ICU to a regular room. If we can get her blood pressure to return to normal, she may come home soon. And - her doctor convinced her to have chemo (in a few weeks) which she had adamantly refused since this started.
If anyone tells you that miracles don't happen, or that prayer doesn't work, I'm here to tell them they're wrong. Please keep her in your prayers for continued healing. And THANK YOU! All of my blog friends are absolutely amazing!
P. S. Maybe I will have a chance to read some of your blogs this weekend.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
1. Mom - Since she has been in the hospital for 8, going on 9, days, she has been in most of my waking thoughts as well as some of my dreams. Her recovery has been one of those "2 steps forward, 3 steps back situations."
2. Mortality - Given mom's situation, mortality has been in my thoughts a lot. Not just hers, but my own.
3. Mammogram - I had to go get one today. It was my third one in four years. That's what happens when you turn 40. Not horrible, but not fun, either.
4. Marriage - Why, oh, why did I think marriage would make anything easier? It only makes things more difficult in situations like mine where we're blending families. Sometimes I am so unhappy and have to wonder, "What was I thinking?"
5. Makeup - Putting on makeup in the morning is one of my least favorite things to do. But, since I go to work, the makeup helps my appearance.
6. Mascara - This is what I consider essential if I'm not going to do all of my makeup. At least I can do mascara and eye liner. It makes a difference!
7. Mirror - What I have to use to put on my makeup and brush my hair.
8. Mexican - One of my favorite types of food, particularly flour tortillas, cheese enchiladas, and guacamole. Yum!
9. Maid - I sure could use one. My family will help in little ways, but they really don't care if the house is clean or not, so it's left to me. I need a maid!
10. Magical - I could use some magic now, too. Wish I was planning a Magical Getaway to Disney like I was at this time last year.
11. Musuem - I would really love to see the exhibit "The Birth of Christianity" at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. We attmepted to go last weekend, but the traffic around the area was horrible, and there was no place to park... anywhere!
12. Millionaire - I'm not one, I don't know any, but I should have married one!
13. Morals - Something I feel is lacking in many young people of today. I don't know why I mentioned this. It really gets me going. I could debate about this issue all night.
But since I'm out of time and have done my 13, I will pass the torch to someone else. Thanks for visiting me! Visit other Thursday 13-ers here.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Wednesday - surgery day - lobectomy - surgery was successful, she came off the breathing tube right away, vitals were stable, pain was the major issue.
Thursday - pretty good day - She was able to sit up, carry on a conversation, get up and walk a few steps twice, drink some water. Nausea was the major issue.
Friday - started off okay, but not a good day - They moved her from the surgical ICU to the medical ICU toward the end of the day because they close the SICU when there are three or fewer patients. Whatever. Her blood pressure was too high. She began to experience some "confusion" and hallucinations.
Saturday - perfectly awful day, which actually started during the night - Anemia (had to receive a unit of blood), breathing trouble (they are pushing Oxygen and pulling CO2), low sodium (big issue - I had no idea the effect of low sodium), low potassium, low pulse/ox rate, extreme agitation, hallucinations, disoriented, extremely low blood pressure (79/49), slight fever. They've had to consult the general practitioner, kidney doctor, cardiologist, pulmonary specialist, and finally, the surgeon. I was there from 2:30 until 9:15, and I'm exhausted.
I hated leaving her tonight. Of course, I will be going back tomorrow. Thank you for all of your prayers.
Thursday, January 08, 2009
2. Sleep and comfort are what I crave most right now.
3. Cork and wine go together like bread and butter.
4.A hot bath with lavender bath soak (B&BW) is so nourishing.
5. Let us dare to dream.
6. Humble, Texas is my home because that is where I grew up.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to seeing my mom after her surgery, tomorrow my plans include my kids' basketball games and pictures, seeing my mom again on her birthday, and going to the Rockets game, and Sunday, I want to rest!
Visit the Friday Fill-ins Homepage and play with us!
Wednesday, January 07, 2009
Monday, January 05, 2009
Monday - Texas Chili - It's so easy! Put chicken breasts in the crockpot. Add corn and/or black beans. Cover with Pace Picante Sauce. Turn it on in the morning, and it's ready when you get home. The chicken stays so tender. We eat it with tostadas or white rice and usually put some grated cheese on top.
Tuesday - Grilled tilapia (frozen) and crunchy fish fillets for the kids. We'll have some Velveeta shells and cheese and probably carrots with this.
Wednesday - I'm eating at the hospital because I will be there all day with my mom. The kids have a variety of lovely choices for dinner. Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Chicken tenders. Frozen lasagna. Their choice.
Thursday - Grilled chicken wraps. I pan-grill the chicken in a little olive oil with some Italian seasoning. We wrap our chicken in flour tortillas made fresh in the Kroger deli by our house. Add some bell pepper, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing. For sides, we'll have rice and maybe green beans.
Friday - I am not cooking! This is pizza night, so we will either order in or go out.
Have a great week everyone! Don't forget to check out other MPM's here.
Sunday, January 04, 2009
I got a lot of pages (12) completed this week by keeping things simple. I've got so much to do that I realized I just have to get some of it done. I didn't use any fancy techniques or tons of embellishments. The name of the game was Get Er Dun.
I participated in the 52 Sketches challege. It's the 3rd photo down, the left page.
This week's challenge: Try a new technique... use a new supply... whatever you'd like, but do something that's new for you.
Please pray for my mom as she undergoes cancer surgery Wednesday to remove a portion of her lung.
Saturday, January 03, 2009
I took my mom to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular yesterday evening, and it was fabulous! It's not just a bunch of high-kicking girls dancing, though that is part of it. (Being a former drill-team dancer in high school and college, A LOOOONG TIME AGO, I like that kind of stuff.) But, it's a real Broadway type show with a story, actors, a ballerina, ice skaters, singing, and dancing. It was worth every penny for the good seats we had, too.
There is "no photography" allowed, but there were flash cameras going off everywhere. I didn't use my flash, so a lot of my photos didn't turn out well, and there is so much movement, it was hard not to get a blurry photo, particularly when I was trying to be discreet, but I'm so glad I got some photos for the scrapbook.
My sister, her husband, and my nephew met us afterwards for dinner at Spaghetti Warehouse, which was also great. That place has such character as well as good food! I hope you have time to see my slide show.
Mom's birthday isn't until the 10th, but her cancer surgery is on the 7th, so we celebrated last night. I had so much fun, and I know she did, too!